Sunday, October 7, 2012

Catching Smallies

Smallmouth bass, referred to by fisherman as smallies, love the popping and clacking of a good buzzbait or topwater bait early in the morning.

I myself use a Strike King Mini Pro Buzz in either white or black. Thinking of getting one in white and chartreuse also when I get a chance. To catch the smallie from earlier around rocks and other cover, I tied on this bait and it was a winner. Typically the smaller buzzbaits catch smallmouth and even largemouth bass when other baits will not work.

My setup was a Shakespeare Tiger 2 Medium-Heavy 7 ft. graphite spinning rod with a Shakespeare Firebird reel spooled with 8 lb Stren monofilament.  I am thinking of getting Berkley Fireline in 8 lb test and getting the other taken off. The fireline is a fused braided line to work similar to monofilament but have the strength of braided without the fuss of worrying about not being able to tie certain knots and that sort of thing.

Here is the smallmouth I caught on that setup with my Strike King white buzzbait.


This is Fall bass fishing at its' best! The bass are agressively feeding and the buzzbaits are bringing them in. Have to say when I released the bass, the water was quite warm even after the wind and other cool conditions.

Thanks for checking out Big Fishing and as always fish big!

No comments:

Post a Comment