Thursday, September 13, 2012

Back to the Basics

Have you ever had a day where your Heddon Spooks, Norman crankbaits, Arkie jigs, Spro lures, or anything else is not working? I have had these days and so has every other angler out there I am sure. I am not saying none of these work because they definitely do if worked correctly AND if the bass or other species are biting those that day.

Whenever I cast out and do not catch anything within about 30 to 45 minutes, I change lures to see if the bass will bite at that. Of course, weather conditions and other factors have to be added into the equation of whether or not a fish will bite but that is for another topic. I am talking about going back to the basics before a lot of these lures became popular.

I am an avid bass angler so there are two of the most basic and best bass catchers. Those two are the jig head grub and the Texas rigged worm.

The jig head grub is something that is great because it has that finesse that attract the bass by the fluttering tail and falling "injured" action. I like to use a 4 inch grub with either a 3/16 or 1/8 oz ball jig head.
The style shown above has flakes to shimmer in the water to attract the fish better.

The Texas rigged worm is another great basic worm. The reason for this is because the worm is a natural bait for the bass and it can move over brush and other things a lot better because of the bullet weight attached to the front.

I use Strike King watermelon/chartreuse color worms on my tackle. Sometimes it is good to get trick worms by Zoom or other brand. These worms have all types of action just like a real worm that is in the water to attract fish.

I have fished weightless as well as with the bullet weight successfully. Good luck and try the basics next time you are stuck on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment